I tend to analyze… then overanalyze… then just go overthinking things to the point at which the main concept or simple answer is lost in the chaos.
But… I do have a question which appears easy on the surface level, but… I might just be overthinking again…
What is normal?
My psychology classes have tried to educate me on every manner in which someone may be considered “abnormal”.
- Intense rumination fixated on negative patterns of thinking
- Episodes of unusual level of fixation on something, whether it be cleanliness/germ phobia or a professional goal
- Positive symptoms such as hallucinations or delusions
But, what about if your symptoms of psychopathology lead to characteristics which are admirable in your environment?
- Extreme intrinsic or extrinsic motivation
- High energy
- Fast speech
- Numerous creative, racing thoughts
- Highly analytical mind
- Abnormally high IQ
When does “illness” become “genius”?